The role of the Director, Graduate Studies & Research is responsible for the administration of the graduate program(s) in the department/unit and also serves as the contact person with the Graduate school. S/he should have an oversight responsibility for graduate program administration in liaison with the Department Heads, Faculty Deans, Grants officer, Research officers and Administrative Assistants.
GENERAL INFORMATION (JOB PURPOSE)
The leadership and managerial responsibilities:-
- Serve as the primary contact with prospective students, departmental graduate faculty, international admissions, and graduate school regarding questions posed about the departmental /faculty graduate program.
- In consultation with the Head of Department, allocating roles in teaching, supervision and administration to members of department.
- To have oversight of the induction of new Postgraduate Research Students, both in relation to a formal School induction at the start of the academic year.
- Oversees graduate students application process within faculties, departments and programs.
- Manages the recruiting and admission process for graduate students and coordinates the department/faculty/program graduate marketing materials; handles or coordinates with appropriate professional staff, prospective graduate student inquiries, correspondence and application review.
- Monitors noted deficiencies of admitted graduate students.
- Approves and signs admissions Graduate programs’ forms.
- Provides Academic leadership in the department for graduate program curricula.
- In conjunction with graduate faculty, engages in strategic planning regarding graduate issues.
- Oversees annual progress or evaluation of graduate students within their respective programs.
- In conjunction with the department head, engages in budgetary planning regarding graduate program needs.
- Overseeing the recruitment of students; ensuring that the University’s admissions policy is followed in all matters including advertisement and interview. Implementing the Equal Opportunities Policy in allocating studentships.
- Ensuring all new programmes proposed by the departments are consistent with the University’s policies and procedures and relevant national framework.
- Vetting research projects and, in discussion with Supervisors, putting in place quality assurance measures.
PERSON SPECIFICATIONS: ESSENTIAL
- A PhD qualification with at least twelve (12) relevant publications
- A good honors degree, with a Postgraduate qualification in the relevant field and/ or Medical Education is an added advantage.
- Previous Experience:
- Demonstrated commitment to developing research expertise
- Proven record of quality research reflected in the authorship of high quality publications or other research outputs
- Engagement with scholarly/professional community
- Advising, mentoring, and assessing students
Person Specifications: Desirable
- Qualification: PhD as noted above.
- Ability to develop the curriculum and publish research and secure Grants.
Submit: i.e Resume, cover letter, copies of academic papers, to: HR, International Health Sciences University (IHSU).
Deadline: Friday, 22nd September 2017 at 05:00pm EAT